Building A Defense Against Marijuana Charges
If you are facing criminal marijuana charges, hiring legal representation that you can trust may make all the difference in the outcome of your case. Lackey Law Firm, P.C., offers legal representation that is honest, prompt and personalized. If you have been charged with marijuana possession or another marijuana-related charge in the Austin or Fredericksburg, Texas, area, contact the firm today.
Why Is Marijuana Illegal In Texas?
In recent years, recreational marijuana has become legal in several states across the country. However, the drug remains illegal, in many circumstances, in the State of Texas. Despite your beliefs on whether it should be legal or not, being in possession of marijuana can still lead to arrest.
Marijuana possession can lead to punishments ranging from probation and a fine to years in jail or prison, depending on the unique factors of each case. If you are facing charges, it’s important that you get a defense attorney who will fight for your rights. Even though Texas may be taking steps to legalize the drug in some respects, you can still get in legal trouble at this time.
Types Of Marijuana
There are several ways to consume marijuana, and possession of any variety of the substance may result in painful and lasting consequences. While the quantity of marijuana found in your possession is typically the most important aspect, the type can also come into play. Here are some of the types of marijuana you can get in trouble for possessing:
- Weed: This is the most common form of marijuana, consisting of the leaves and buds of the cannabis plant. Sometimes weed can be laced with other substances to enhance its effects, creating additional criminal charges.
- Hashish: Also known as hash, hashish is made from the resin of the cannabis plant. Hashish is usually crumbled or rolled with tobacco.
- Hash oil: This is the most potent form of marijuana, as well as the least common. It is typically sold is tiny bottles or bags. Only a small amount of oil is needed to produce the same effects of marijuana, meaning the more you have the greater your charge.
- Marijuana cigarettes: Also referred to as joints, spliffs or doobies, marijuana cigarettes are usually hand-rolled.
- Edibles: Marijuana cooked into food is a popular form of consumption. It’s usually mixed with foods such as brownies and cookies. The legalization of recreational marijuana in other states has also led to the development of other types of edibles, like chocolates and gummies.
Choosing Your Defense Attorney
If you have been caught with any form of marijuana and are facing charges, you need a defense attorney who is going to work with you every step of the way. It’s important that you feel safe, knowing that you have a defense team working tirelessly for you. Lackey Law Firm, P.C., is here to help. Give the firm’s Austin or Fredericksburg location a call at 888-705-0307. You may also schedule a consultation by completing an online contact form.
Main office is located in Austin, Texas. All office locations are staffed by appointment only.